Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Making Apps Useful


With so many apps for smartphones, why not use them to enhance learning? I have recently seen so many Social Studies/History applications that I can use as a teacher. I know many high schools have been receiving Ipads and tablets that they are able to use in the classroom. Apps like MYCONGRESS, which is basically a Twitter type application that keeps you up to date on issues happening in the United States can be a way for students to keep up with current events. Sometimes you have to make learning history fun especially for students who don’t have a passion for it. Another app I came across was one about the Constitution and the Federalist Papers which makes learning more interactive. Technology can really help teachers make learning fun. There are interactive learning games as well like Stack the States which could help students learning states and capitals.

Games and apps like these can reinforce learning and be study tools for students. When I was studying for my Praxis I used Quizlet study cards constantly. They were a great online tool that helped me and teachers can use them for their students as well. I think all of these study tools and even games can help students study with less stress and having fun.

http://thecurriculumchoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_9850-500x333.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Carly,
    I think that educational apps such as the ones you mentioned in your post are really great tools to enchance technology. What a creative way to incorprate technology not only in the classroom, but in our everyday lives. We, generally speaking, spend so much time on our cellphones as it is; these apps are a great way to reinforce learning! As far as styaing up to date with current events, I can't express enough how useful my cellphone has been for this. On my home screen, I have CNN, NYT, and TIME apps. One click is all it takes for me to very briefly catch up on "breaking news" or current events. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have them using the MYCONGRESS app or any another current events app, you can even have them keep a journal and write their responses everyday to any of the "breaking news stories" so you can ensure that they are engaging with the apps. It would make a good daily journal assignment or even a "Do Now" at the start of class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using applications is a great idea! Almost everyone has a smartphone, I don’t though, I guess you have to take into consideration the availability/accessibility of this technology. I am going to be Social Studies teacher too, I looked up MYCONGRESS and it seems really interesting and a great way to be up to date on current events. I like how you want to use technology to make a lesson interactive and fun for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carly,

    I think you are so accurate in the usage smartphones and apps can play in the classroom but they must be used responsibility. I can hear kids say that they werent on their cell phone for recreation if a teacher takes its away from them but on the app that was for class. I dont know but i can see trouble more than good out of it but i loved your article. You are totally right but it needs to be properly utilized and prepared before the school year begins.

    ReplyDelete